On Air

Jon Holling

Who can help?

Most people think that flooding can never happen to them. Well it can.

If you are one of the 5 million people in England and Wales who live or work in a floodplain your home or business is more likely to be flooded than it is to catch fire. You may have a burglar alarm and the chances are you know what to do in the event of a fire. But are you and your family prepared for a flood?

Who can help?

The Environment Agency

In England and Wales, the Environment Agency is responsible for building, maintaining and operating flood defenses and for issuing flood warnings to the public, other flood responding organisations and the media.

The Environment Agency also provides the Floodline  0845 988 1188 service. You can listen to recorded flood warning information for your area or speak to an operator for advice 24 hours a day.

Prepare for flooding by following some simple steps. Sign up for free flood warnings, make a flood plan and find out about ways to reduce the impact of flooding to your home or business.

Local authorities

  • Work with the police, fire and rescue services and the Environment Agency to co-ordinate responses during severe flooding.
  • Provide local advice to the public about the incident and what to do.
  • Set up rest centres for people evacuated from their homes and arrange temporary shelters or accommodation for those people who have no where else they can go to.
  • Deal with road closures and disruption to social services.
  • Investigate disruption caused by overflowing drains and sewers.
  • Where possible they may provide sandbags and other emergency provisions.

For a list of flood protection product retailers contact the National Flood Forum.